Philip Peerens is Associate Partner heading the Public Sector & Real Estate practices in the Brussels office.Philip has acquired extensive experience and know-how in public and administrative law practice, in advising national and international clients, including public bodies, on various regulatory matters. He is an acknowledged practitioner in public procurement law, and in other public law contracts (grants, concessions, PPP’s, …), where he assists adjudicating authorities in the drafting of their tender documents and other mandatory documentation or decisions, as well as bidders at various stages of their bids, selection procedure or performance of public contracts. Philip has specialist expertise in real estate and construction law. He advises on both real estate (sale, lease, rights in rem) and corporate real estate transactions (real estate due diligence, including town planning, soil pollution and other environmental aspects). Philip also advises national and international clients on the legal aspects of business and commercial laws, the drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial and financial and security agreements. He has extensive experience in litigating before judicial, administrative and arbitral tribunals, as well as in alternative dispute resolution.
Philip’s fields of legal expertise include:
- Public and administrative law
- Public procurement law
- Construction and real estate law
- Environmental law
- Financial law & securitisation
- (Alternative) Dispute Resolution, litigation
Philip holds a Master in law from the University of Leuven, and has been admitted to the Dutch-speaking Brussels bar association in 2000. He joined EY Law in December 2019. Prior to this, he worked in the Brussels office of a renowned Brussels business law firm, where he was promoted to Counsel in 2012, and Partner in January 2017. Philip is fluent in Dutch, French and English.firm.
- Masterclass European procurement Directives, EIPA (Maastricht) (2015)
- Masterclass Public procurement, Antwerp Management School (2014)
- Certification Alternative Dispute Resolution (Mediation), Strauss & Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University School of Law (California) (2006)
- Beëindiging van de aanneming – Voer voor juridische begripsverwarring en afwijkende feitenappreciaties”, L'Entreprise et le Droit / Tijdschrift voor Aannemingsrecht 2/2018.
- “The New Belgian Public Procurement Acts : Towards more flexibility and more opportunities for innovative solutions?”, October 2016.
- “How to buy and sell real estate, Belgian Chapter”, Multilaw MIPIM 2014.
- "De (on-)regelmatigheid van laattijdige offertes bij overheidsopdrachten: Hoe te laat (voorlopig) nog op tijd kan zijn.", Tijdschrift voor Aannemingsrecht, 4/2012.
- "Beslag op verkoopsom wegens onbetaalde gemeenschappelijke lasten", Eigenaarsmagazine, 3/2012.
- "Belgium, a location for international arbitration" Q&A, Acquisition International, 1/2012.
- Co-author “Praktijkboek appartementsmede-eigendom” / ”Copropriété d’appartements”, ed. 2005 and ed. 2007.