From May 25, 2018 the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will be in force. Meaning that from that date the same privacy legislation will apply throughout the European Union. Do you already comply with the GDPR?
GDPR – the biggest changes
The GDPR contains:
- Stronger and more extensive privacy rights
- More responsibilities for organizations
- The same, stronger competences for all European Data Protection Authorities, such as the competence to impose fines up to 20 million euros or 4% of the worldwide turnover.
An emphasis will lie on the responsibility of organizations. As an organization you must be able to show that you are compliant with the GDPR. This means, among other things, that you can show which personal data you collect, how you use data, how long you store it and how you secure it.
With these important preparations EY Law can assist. From maturity assessments to complete implementation procedures, we are there to assist in every step of the process.
In this section of our website you can find some more insights around GDPR written by our data privacy specialists.
- July 2, 2021 - On the 27th of June, the updated standard contractual clauses for the transfer of personal data to third countries (“SCCs”) […]
- June 29, 2021 - The United Kingdom left the European Union formally and effectively on 31 January 2020, which makes the UK a “third […]
- June 15, 2021 - It’s been 3 years since the General Data protection Regulation (GDPR) entered into application; the exact deadline known to many […]
- July 29, 2020 - On the 16th of July, the Court of Justice of the European Union (‘CJEU’) issued a ground-breaking judgment regarding transfers of personal data between the EU and […]
- May 13, 2020 - How Belgian e-commerce booms and offers the necessary opportunities for your business The current health crisis is increasingly impacting our […]
- March 19, 2020 - The impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on the everyday life of citizens is dramatic. Whilst the protection of our health […]
- February 14, 2019 - Een half jaar na de invoering van de GDPR lijkt de mediastorm rond de nieuwe Europese regelgeving voor databescherming eindelijk […]
- March 20, 2018 - Nowadays, all organizations are digital by default. Not saying that all organizations deliver its products and/or services through digital channels, […]
- March 19, 2018 - On March 16th, 2018, the Ministerial Cabinet approved the preliminary draft legislation on the protection of natural persons with regard […]