Tom heads the transactions / M&A department of EY Law. He advises both international and national (incl. family-owned and medium sized) clients within the framework of high-level M&A matters.
He and his team regularly act as lead counsel in complex inbound or outbound cross-border deals.
Tom acts as ‘trusted advisor’ for a number of key clients both in corporate and commercial matters, and is highly regarded for his service-minded and client-oriented style.
Tom has expertise, amongst other things, in the following matters:
- public and private M&A transactions (incl. buy- or sell side legal due diligence, contract drafting and negotiation);
- private equity and venture capital placements;
- management buy-outs and buy-ins;
- corporate governance and shareholders’ disputes;
- insolvency and restructuring work (distressed M&A);
- cross-border deals;
- real estate transactions;
- joint ventures and shareholders’ agreements;
- acquisition finance and finance structures; and
- corporate law issue in general.
Tom obtained his Master in Law at the University of Leuven (KUL 2006). He also obtained a Master in Economic Law at the University of Brussels (ULB 2007), a Master in Company Law at the University of Brussels/Leuven (HUB-KUB 2010) and a Postgraduate in Corporate Finance at the University of Leuven (KUL 2012).
Tom is a member of the Brussels Bar since 2007. Prior to joining EY Law, Tom worked with the transactions department of a leading independent Belgian boutique law firm and an international US Law firm.
Tom is recommended for Corporate/M&A by all leading legal directories.
In addition, Tom is a researcher at the Financial Law Institute of the Ghent University (UGent), focusing on corporate law, and regularly lectures on corporate/M&A and company law matters.
Tom is a Dutch native speaker and has professional working proficiency in English and French.